|Search Hydroponics Online:|
|New Immigration Laws Pave the way for Hydroponic Farming
Powdery and Downy Mildew
Building your own Indoor Grow Room part 2
Building your own Indoor Grow Room part 1
The Benefits of Chelated Micro-nutrients
Is the pH really that important?
Getting Bigger Yields From your Hydroponic Plants
Tips for getting the most out of your nutrients
Millions of dollars lost in hydroponic tomato plant sabotage
Growing Hydroponic Raspberries, part 2
|Replica Porsche Design Flat6 watch P-6351 Flat Six Automatic 40 Rray
Bird Droppings: Arizona Cardinals ready to take on Rams
Bird Droppings: Arizona Cardinals biggest questions heading into camp
Happy Victory Monday one and all
the Arizona Cardinals inexplicably offered former Minnesota
The cream has risen to the top of the AFC West at the midseason mark
With the bye week for the Minnesota Vikings almost over. . .
Tank Carradine , Nick Nelson among Raiders inactives vs Rams
Anyone else starting to get excited for Sundays game yet?
Raiders 2018 roster cuts tracker
Atlanta Falcons fantasy stud and dud from Week 3
A brief history on the curse of Atlanta sports
Falcoholinks: All the Falcons news you need for Monday , Sept. 17
At this point in the NFL season
What are the Detroit Lions?
The last time the Lions had a 100-yard rusher in a game
and were back again with the Interview with the Enemy series.
Krewe Review - Season/Bucs Game Preview
The New England Patriots prime time matchup
As the rare showdown approaches between Aaron Rodgers
Building a Hydroponic System 3-1
A simple ebb and flow hydroponic system can be built with some basic components: a bucket, a tub, tubing and a growing medium. This lesson instructs you how to build an Ebb and Flow system. If you have already built the 11 Plant Garden or have your own store bought garden then you can proceed to Lesson Four.
The procedure outlined below for building a hydroponic unit can be applied to a classroom project or can be used by a student for building their own hydroponic garden at home.
You will need:
1 bucket for your nutrient reservoir (2- 5 gallons)
1 tub for your plant bed (approximately l' x 2' x 6")
3 ft. plastic tubing, 1/2" diameter
enough Growing Medium to fill the tub (plant bed)
silicone or epoxy glue
drill with 1/2" bit
|2" x 2" piece of plastic screen or mesh|
|1 rubber band
|seeds or bedding plants from your local nursery
5. Wrap the piece of screen around the end of the tubing that comes through the side of the plant bed and secure with the rubber band. This prevents the growing medium from clogging the tube.
6. Pour the growing medium into the tub, filling it to I" below the rim. Your Ebb and Flow hydroponic garden is now ready for nutrient solution and planting.
7. Fill your bucket with the mixed nutrient solution. Lift the bucket (higher than the grow bed) and allow the solution to run from the bucket into the grow bed. You can place the bucket on something higher than the grow bed white waiting for the nutrient solution to drain into the grow bed. When the growing medium is saturated, lower the bucket so the solution can drain back into the bucket.
(Mixing of nutrient solution is covered in Lesson 5 )
8. Once your growing medium is saturated, you can plant your seeds. Follow the instructions on the seed
packet for planting depth. Or use starter plants from your local nursery. Carefully wash the lose
medium from the bedding plant roots before putting the plants in the plant bed. (See Lesson Six for more
9. Once you have planted the seeds, the growing medium will need to be kept moist with nutrient solution.
This is done by raising the bucket (flooding the grow bed) and lowering the bucket (draining the grow
bed). This should be done several times a day to maintain a proper moisture level in the growing medium
surrounding the plant roots.
You can automate this hydroponic garden by adding a small pump in your nutrient reservoir to flood the grow bed and a timer to start and stop the pump.
You will need to place your hydroponic garden near a window in direct light or, add artificial lighting. More information on proper lighting can be found in Lesson Seven.
HOME / LAST PAGE / NEXT PAGE